1 2019 Regular BECE English Paper 1
Lexis and Structure
From the alternatives lettered A to D, choose which most suitably completes each sentence.
1. One of the bulls ….. from the herd.
A. have been strayed
B. has been strayed
C. have strayed
D. has strayed
2. I saw the dog ….. out of the house.
B. is running
D. was running
3. Habib goes to school ….. train.
4. This phone is not mine; it is …..
A. mine uncle’s
B. my uncle’s
C. my uncles
D. mine uncle
5. Their sister wore a ….. dress to the party.
A. silk blue beautiful
B. beautiful blue silk
C. blue beautiful silk
D. beautiful silk blue
6. I wish I ….. my friend next week.
A. can visit
B. am visiting
C. shall visit
D. could visit
7. Aba took ….. her mother in many ways.
8. That girls is allergic ….. dust.
9. My brother, with his children, ….. travelling to Salaga next week.
10. It is high time we ….. for the meeting.
C. have to leave
D. will leave
11. The accused person refused to apper before the ….. panel.
12. The stories her children told her made her …..
A. to laugh
13. They have not bought ….. of the two prescribed books.
14. The boy found the assignment ….. to do.
A. much too difficult
B. difficult too much
C. too much difficult
D. much difficult too
15. The oxen lay on the bare floor, ….. ?
A. didn’t they
B. don’t they
C. didn’t it
D. isn’t it
Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one which is nearest in meaning to the underlined word in each sentence.
16. The officials made a sudden visit to the school.
A. an unusual
B. a strange
C. a quick
D. an unexpected
17. Some of the students grumbled about the assignment.
18. It is impolite to talk loudly in the presence of the elderly.
19. She is fond of talking about trivial matters.
20. This curious child likes to ask a lot of questions.
In each of the following sentences a group of words has been underlined. Choose from the alternatives lettered A to D the one that best explains the underlined group of words.
21. Araba’s visit was a bolt from the blue. This means that the visit was
A. a most welcome one
C. a complete surprise
22. My uncle loves to cast his bread upon the waters. This means that my uncle
A. behave strangely
B. feeds his fish with bread
C. is wasteful
D. loves to help people
23. When he lost his job, Yaro was left to sink or swim. This means that Yaro
A. was depressed
B. shouted for help
C. had to find another job
D. had to survive on his own
24. I was informed at the elevent hour about his decision to leave. This means that I heard about his decision
B. at eleven o’clock
C. in good time
D. very late
25. John had to eat his words when our team won the match. This means that John
A. became very much surprised
B. admitted he was wrong
C. denied all that he had said
D. lost appetite
From teh list of words lettered A to D, choose the one that is most nearly opposite to the word underlined in each sentence.
26.The girl intentionally tore her dress.
27. We initiated several projects last year.
28. Most of the rules were observed.
29. The results will be released very soon?
30. No one enjoyed the old man’s humourless stories.